Marriott has both F-1 and J-1 Visa Programmes for students or interns to gain experience working in Marriott hotels within the United States.
Here’s what you need to know if you are interested in applying:
- The program is available to students studying in the USA with F-1 Visas who are eligible for the Optional Practical Training Visa after graduating from a US hospitality programme. The OPT visa allows you to work in the US for one year.
- After successfully completing the 12-month training programme, you may be eligible for one of the following:
- Direct entry into Voyage in your home country.
- Full-time placement at a Marriott hotel in your home country or countries where you already have work authorisation.
The J-1 visa can provide an opportunity for practical “on-the job” training in the USA for foreign nationals who are either interns or trainees. Here are some things to keep in mind if you are considering a career-enhancing J-1 opportunity with Marriott in the USA:
- To qualify as a J-1 intern, an individual must be either currently enrolled in and pursuing studies at a degree or certificate-granting post-secondary academic institution outside the USA OR have graduated from such an institution no more than 12 months prior to his/her exchange programme start date.
- To qualify as a J-1 trainee, an individual must have either a degree or professional certificate from a foreign post-secondary academic institution and at least one year of prior work-related experience acquired outside the USA; or, five years work experience outside the USA without the benefit a degree.
- J-1 programmes in the “Hospitality and Tourism” category are limited to 12 months for both interns and trainees. Trainees may be approved for a J-1 programme that is up to 18 months in length if the subject area for training is not hospitality and tourism
- As a J-1 intern or trainee, you may be placed in training programmes in the Rooms Division, Front Office, Food & Beverage, Culinary or other programmes as determined by the hotel.
- Once an employment offer has been accepted by an international trainee candidate, the individual must contact one of the below J-1 sponsorship organisations, authorised by the US Department of State, to assist with the Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility, and the J-1 visa application.
- Alliance Abroad Group
- American Hospitality Academy
- Council for International Educational Exchange (CIEE)
- Cultural Homestay International
- Cultural Vistas (previously Association for International Practical Training (AIPT))
- Global Career Exchange
- Global Education Concepts
- HTP J-1 Visa Programs
- InterExchange (Marriott managed properties only use this sponsor for the Work & Travel program, not the Intern/Trainee program)
- International Educational Exchange, Inc.
- Odyssey International Exchange
- Pan Atlantic International (PAIT)
- Spirit Cultural Exchange
- Worldwide International Student Exchange (WISE)